Sunday, April 6, 2014

Getting Down and Dirty!

Monday 3/31-Friday 4/4
This week we all literally got down and dirty whether it was in either section of Ag. Mechanics or Greenhouse management and landscape design. It was a jam packed week of hands on activities that prompted student engagement at admirable levels. Similar to the welding unit there were few challenges with enthusiasm and a get r done attitude.

The agriculture mechanics sections wrapped up the basic engine component identification lessons which included handling the parts as they were introduced and discussed. No one dosed off during these classroom sessions. From that foundation we rolled into Mr. Andersons Lawnmower maintenance community service project that included an impressive number of 31 mowers consisting of push behind and ride on mowers.
This is what I call getting down and dirty!
Everyone from faculty to student parents and the student teacher brought mowers in to be serviced. The program includes spark plug cleaning and gapping, blade sharpening and balancing, and oil change. All for the price of a quart of oil. This was a great experience for the students because their expectation of challenges in a "maintenance" program were very low. It taught them that what may seem simple and straight forward can quickly become a challenge whether its a seized blade mounting bolt or an oil drain nut that simply won't budge. I firmly believe that this program does the obvious, tangible service to the community and provides a demonstrated learning experience, what it does for student confidence in themselves is why I'm here.

In greenhouse management the students are motivated to tackle the classroom component with the promise of time in the greenhouse each day. It is almost like a reward to go "work" in the greenhouse. They are so motivated to "work" that we have even gotten some of Mr. Andersons spring cleaning in and around the greenhouse done. Again, there are demonstrated skills and applied knowledge that are tied to the knowledge we share in the classroom, it is their attitude toward "work" that is hard to duplicate and so valuable as a life skill. I continue to solicit comments in class that I am "really making us think!" that just egg me on and provide personal confirmation of my approach and development in this student teaching experience.

Mark and I attended two meetings this week. The first meeting was a Beef Quality Assurance Meeting for individual certification. I enjoyed the chance to learn a few things I didn't know, visit with some of my cohort and fellow ag. teachers. They even had a hands on component practicing sub Q and IM shots with syringes and banana's. Great idea to borrow for future use. It was also another chance to tour a different school based ag. programs facilities which I find really interesting to see the diversity in resources and programming  emphasis. The second meeting we attended was the regional PAAE meeting where they simultaneously held an FFA SOC's meeting that one of our students attended. Again it was a great chance to join together as an ag. family and enjoy good food, fellowship, and organization.
Practicing BQA injections - Hands On!

I see the finish line here at E-town a little over two weeks away now and I am NOT looking forward to it. My students believe I should apply for a deferred grade and finished what I started, especially in greenhouse management. I must admit I kinda share their sentiment...
This is worth clicking on to read Teach Ag!

No comments:

Post a Comment