Sunday, April 20, 2014

Final Teaching Internship Post

Week of 4/14/4 to 4/18/14

This final full week of student teaching went well with the students as focused on Small Gas Engines and Landscape Management as I was on finishing this experience strong. The student I chose to focus upon for my Action Research picked up on the urgency created by my final full week at Etown. He showed up during the morning "flex" period and class! The intensity I create with him had the sweat rolling off his face nearly every time he showed up. I am simultaneously building his enthusiasm for torch welding which follows SGE's so that he can finish his semester strong in Ag. Mechanics I.

Another experience I really valued this week was getting some pointers on MIG welding from the student I managed in my independent study assignment. He practically grew up with a welder in his hand. His family operates a welding and fabricating business so it was a great opportunity to fine tune my MIG welding skills from someone who does it every day. I also had him fabricate and weld a square fire pit insert for the female student (actually it was for her Grandfather!) in our class who was so helpful in assisting the Action Research student with his stick welding while I was on campus.

I felt like this week went well because I have developed the beginning of an internal sense of pace without consciously thinking about it or having to refer to the clock to manage my time. I also felt good about managing the flow of classroom management with the students response to periodic lapses to the point where they're neither a distraction of disruption of our session.

The students are really getting into the greenhouse routine and most of them enjoy "working" in the greenhouse. The geraniums Mark grows for graduation are growing like weeds which really creates positive feedback for the students because they can see the fruits of their efforts and attention. A small example of hard work eliciting noticeable results.

We ended the week in Greenhouse Mgmt. and Landscape Design by taking advantage of the nice spring weather to do some hands on topographical mapping and begin to discuss the elements of the art and science of landscape design.

I am still not looking forward to the end of my daily interaction with Mark, he is a great mentor, model, and exemplary teacher! Even my wife is not looking forward to what she has labeled as"your Mark withdrawal!"

2 comments:

  1. The withdrawal will occur not just with Mark with but with some of the students also. I have really enjoyed watching you grow and develop as a teacher during these weeks at E-Town. Congratulations, you have made it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean,

    You did it! The beginning was a little rough and I could sense your frustration, but you stuck with it and listened to my suggestions, never once complaining. You evolved into a great teacher that will only get better with more experience. I wish the best of luck as you join our profession. Please feel free to call on me if you ever need anything.

    ReplyDelete