Sunday, March 30, 2014

Home Stretch!

Monday - Today we put the finishing touches on our C - clamp project, painting the clamps a choice of colors to show some individualism and personality, I chose John Deere green! This project from start to finish was a great example of the culmination of the electric arc welding unit because the growth, development, and confidence gained was evident along the way and demonstrated with a useful tool they can take justifiably take pride in.
The greenhouse competition reached a frenzy this afternoon with an Olympic theme, three places up for grabs! This activity taught me a lot about variability in instruction. I was shocked by the level of competition these students could apply to greenhouse layout when there was Math, Composition, and hands on elements. I did not realize it was possible to generate enthusiasm around these cross disciplinary subject areas but, all it took was the spark of "competition" to bring it on! The students ultimately placed the team pairs with judging based upon all three components.
And the winner is......!
This week at 5 weeks out with the student teaching experience I have mixed emotions about the "home stretch." I am determined to finish stronger with development accelerating toward the conclusion of this experience. To me that will include developing consistency, rhythm, and pace in addition to other aspects of this craft I'm tackling. Honestly, when it comes to leaving the students and especially  Mr. Anderson I am NOT looking forward to leaving, something I don't want to think about until its over.
Must have run out of green paint last year....because its so popular!

Tuesday - Today we put the second coat on our C - clamp's prior to assessment and wound the unit down prior to a test with a C - clamp reflection sheet. This activity impressed me again with the thoughtful reflections the students were able to summon. It's just not something that would have occurred to me, the assessment I get, the reflection component blows me away!
Greenhouse management block was really rough today! We shifted gears into a soils unit and it seemed like they all  missed the bus. I felt like the content was appropriate and engaging, I had even built up to it requesting soil samples from two students on the previous day. I developed and activity around the two samples to orient the students to soil texture, composition, and structure. Surprisingly in my opinion it was a 50/50 fail at best with half the normally engaged students willing to dig into it an the other half or more utilizing the time to catch up on social events/issues in their lives. My best efforts prompting, using proximity control, etc. had no effect.
I let my frustration get the best of me and that snowballed on the way home to the point where I developed an overreaction to the session, questioning my progress, confidence, and abilities.

Wednesday - I used our second block to discuss the prior days' experience because Mr. Anderson attended an event with FFA students immediately after school yesterday. He did a great job of breaking it down for me and developing a sound perspective on the situation that unfolded. He was so effective that I felt better for "having one of those days" because it created a great opportunity to learn from what otherwise was a negative experience. I have been knocked down enough in my 48 years to get right back up ready for another round without thinking about it. This experience reinforced the value of both the knock down and the get right back up. Their are lessons to be learned in our mistakes, missteps, frustrations, etc if we are willing to get back up, listen and reflect on the experience while continuing in forward direction.
Mr. Anderson's advice allowed me to tweak my approach for today turning the Greenhouse section into a productive and rewarding experience further reinforcing my attitude toward refining my instructional approach in the time remaining to walk out the door with enough experience to continue my development in the right direction avoiding as many of the first year teacher headaches as possible.

Thursday - Today went much better after my pow wow with Mr. Anderson and I made a huge leap in my effort to give up the crutch of power points in an effort to be a dynamic and flexible instructor. At his suggestion I decided to try using old school overheads to refine my pace and develop consistent timing during my sessions. In addition to my plan to use it in Greenhouse an issue came up where Mr. Anderson needed to meet with an administrator and asked me if I was willing to teach the first 30 minutes using his overheads. I told him I was game and it worked really well for me. Mr. Anderson ended up finishing his meeting early and was able to observe me twice using the overheads. He and I both felt good about how it went and I have decided to stick with it if it works and develops the pacing and consistency we feel I need to nail.

Friday - Today was a great day that started out with working one on one with a student who I am working with to get him caught up in Ag. Mechanics. He has progressed from failure to passing just in time because the marking period ended Thursday. I have this student breaking a sweat in the short flex period first thing in the morning, we are that intense and he is that in to it. Charges my day up too right out of the gate!
I am also determined to continue what some may consider an old school approach with overheads to develop the pace and consistency Mark and I are aiming for. Just because its old school doesn't mean its obsolete. I had back to back sessions in Ag. Mechanics successfully using the overheads achieving the kind of engagement I am after every day!
We got the geranium plugs that will ultimately be on display at graduation for the parents to enjoy and take home at the end! We spent the better part of the block potting the inserts and all the students were intent and intense enough that we finished potting the inserts ahead of Mr. Anderson's expectations. I must admit that I was pretty into it as well. Rounded out a great Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog and great pictures. From reading this, I can almost picture what was happening in the classes. Old school??? If it works, it is not old school, although lots of schools have thrown out their overhead projectors.
    Not sure what Mark told you about the hort class, but I am glad it worked! Looks like it ended being a really good week - lots of learning - for you as well as the students.

    ReplyDelete