Saturday, March 8, 2014

Greenhouse Fever

Monday - Today capped off my community based unit of instruction with a Manheim based paving and excavating company. I took the initiative to coordinate what turned out to be an engaging and fulfilling experience for the students which was worth the planning and meeting we did prior to their presentation. This unit served both sections of Ag. Mechanics I with bookended lessons on surveying, related careers in the mechanical & construction industry, and highlighted the company's admirable community outreach and a history of involvement.
BR Kreider builds careers around Etown Ag. Ed. Students
In greenhouse management I shook up the lesson routine with a brief essential question that led to a extended interest approach out in the greenhouse. It was a great chance to check on some of our germination experiments as well as the orchids we split with Dr. Holcomb, then lead them back into the classroom to kick off a unit on plant reproduction. I think we are all a little winter weary and anxious to get out into the greenhouse. Interestingly, when the subject of potato cultivation in plant reproduction came up I mentioned I thought you could grow them in a cup of water and get a plant with roots. I didn't expect the students to jump on it and blurt out "oh!, we should do that!", to me that's students enthusiastically taking charge of their learning! So, we will!


Tuesday - Today I had the experience of going to a county level CDE for SGE and extemporary speaking with two student who were not thrilled about extemp. but, courageous enough to give it a try. This is one of the great things I feel FFA provides students that  really charges me up about FFA. It's not all about winning, because who really doesn't like to win. Sometimes its building courage, digging deeper into yourself, and stretching outside your comfort zone just for the growth and development opportunity, not a ribbon, plaque, or other "reward" or recognition.
I also had the opportunity to see Josh Walker a first year teacher slugging it out with some pretty challenging 9 graders.


Gentlemen Start Your Engines! (if you can:)






Wednesday - I finally gave into the greenhouse fever I think all of us in Greenhouse Mgmt. and Landscape Design are feeling with a three day hands on unit applying the propagation techniques we are learning about. I brought in houseplants I have had for 20+ years. One since I was about 16 and the other since I took indoor plants at Virginia Tech, you do the math on exact age of the plants. The kids seemed a little incredulous about that but, I think I hooked some of them on houseplants and propagation. The enthusiasm I saw in at least a handful of students is the same enthusiasm that has carried these plants through the decades I've had them, and to me that's pretty cool (and why I chose to TeachAg).

Thursday - The ag. mechanics sections have become very accomplished welders and developed to the point where they are frustrated when the quality of their welds isn't up to their own expectations! Even more impressive is how they double down on their efforts to master the T-weld we're currently working on! That kind of pride in their work is not necessarily something that can be taught but, they are proof it can be learned!
I've also noticed the students in Greenhouse develop the same kind of pride in the classroom activities and greenhouse projects that they will definitely need when we get into the 300 geraniums Mark grows for Etown's Graduation in June (or July, depending on the weather:)

Friday - The ag. mechanics sections really felt the pressure to deliver a T-weld for a grade because they had to take a quiz that took away some of the time they might otherwise have had during a full session. I thought they handled the pressure well but, it did get to even the best welders in both sections. Good experience for the really world where there are contracts, deadlines, and expectations for productivity.
 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Sean. really enjoyed that your students wanted to do potatoes in just a glass of water. I always enjoyed the horticulture classes and the ideas students had and were willing to try.
    Engines contest is always interesting as was your observation on Josh.
    Welders are a unique class and their pride in the quality of their work was very obvious. Are the girls still doing the better welds?

    ReplyDelete