Sunday, March 23, 2014

Getting A Clue

Monday - Today I approached the classroom with a personal challenge to avoid using Power points during my 80  minute greenhouse management class. I want to develop delivery, rhythm, and a framework without the use of power points. I generally view power points as a crutch which may make me "old school" but, I have come to realize they are a useful tool in developing my craft, not the tool of instruction. In my experience, in most audiences the only person who is excited about another power point presentation is the presenter. Students and adults alike prefer other means of instruction. Power points have their usefulness, I am simply challenging myself to develop other components of my instructional approach.

Tuesday - I limited my power points to an agreed upon target with Mr. Anderson and came within 1 slide of meeting the time limit we established. This experience is developing a solid rhythm with the students that keeps their attention and engagement however, I need to hone my discussion approach to limit the tangents that the students (and I) seem eager to pursue around our topics. Interestingly, the students are starting to develop a sense of actual greenhouse management with our regular trips out to the greenhouse, the students are recognizing what to look for in their plant projects, and identify signs of success, stress, and failure in their pursuits.
Today we held another FFA meeting and I think it was the best so far because the officers shared a lot of detail about recent experiences at SLLC. They also seemed a lot more personable than I had seen them at prior meetings, willing to laugh, share funny stories, or interesting comments.

Wednesday - Today was a university supervisor observation day. I was glad my supervisor was able to come early and spend some time observing 2 out of the 3 blocks we have each day. I felt really good about the lesson we planned and the students seemed to respond to some of the tweaks Mark and I decided to do for the lesson such as making the "work" a competition. Don't know why we never tried it before! The techniques Mark is trying to help me develop and practice as well as the bag of tricks teachers draw upon really reflect the depth of 22 years of experience he has. I feel so fortunate to share a teaching experience with a veteran like that!

Thursday - Today I feel like I snatched a student from failure and possibly hooked him on Ag., just when I had about given up on him. He was behind since joining our ag. mechanics class and constantly either absent or in In School Suspension. He finally showed up for a scheduled one on one Welding Crash Course that I have been trying to get him to do for over a month! I had him sweating, smiling, and enthusiastic by the end of our first session. After our first session one on one, he showed up for class (instead of dodging school skipping out the set of doors near our classroom), and after practicing for 80 minutes, the most competent welder, and cutest girl in the class came up to him and engaged him in a conversation about how cool it was to weld etc. I don't know the rest of the conversation because I walked away but the next day while I was in SC she worked with him to develop his welding techniques. I think that's awesome and I am glad that I hung in there just long enough for him to show up. Probably go down as one of my most memorable moments of the entire student teaching experience!

Friday - Friday we had a seminar on campus that was a good experience utilizing a two session framework. The session that definitely served me well was the lesson plan tuning exercise with my peers, I felt it could be kicked up a notch with a facilitator instead of a time keeper because peer input from fellow neophytes is of limited benefit. A facilitator might bring out more valuable input prompted by peers or lead advice and conversation in a more constructive direction. The other session with multiple scenarios was good practice for what's ahead in dealing with administrators, students, fellow teachers, and parents.
Overall, this week I felt like I may be getting a clue in this student teaching experience where the experience becomes effective in shaping my development enough to do a solid job. I now have 5 weeks to gain some confidence, consistency, and pacing as part of the bigger picture of my development.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog to match the great lessons I saw this week!!!! I totally agree with your analysis of power points - a useful tool, but only 1 or many we have available.

    Glad you had success with the missing student. having one of the girls in class work with him should help his attendance!

    Have a great week this week.

    ReplyDelete