Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Week 3 Student Teaching @Etown

Monday - School was closed due to inclement weather. I used the time to further develop and tweak a week long research project that emphasizes technology and a learner centered approach to the unit I had planned. When I told Mr. Anderson about my unit for the upcoming week we started to discuss approaches to the material and use of technology, so I decided to run with it instead of the power point/worksheet/activity approach that I had taken to this point. By Monday evening I felt I had a solid concept and outline that incorporated a piece of Mr. Anderson's evaluation advise to develop examples of the work I expect, not just lay out objectives and expectations, I'm trying to show them what success, creativity, and engaged learning look and feel like!

Tuesday - Our day was cut short by 2 hours due to the weather but I was able to kick off my technology in the classroom research project titled "You're a Botanist for a Week". The kids seemed confused at first because it was a totally different experience than they were used to. I probably confused them (unintended) when I handed out the project with a Test 1 cover sheet and indicated I hoped they had studied! This had its intended affect of getting them to pay attention and realize the assessment value of the project because while the title could be considered "fake" in traditional assessment, the fact that it's still worth 15% or 150 points is not fake. By the time they got over the fake test shock they appeared to engage in the initial exploration of their assigned topics and when they got a hold of the computers it was like throwing a switch on their enthusiasm and engagement.
One of my concerns with this assignment is the resistance or unease some of the students expressed who appear to be conditioned to spoon feeding of knowledge and really challenged to think critically. I do feel I will hook them on an engaged style of learning and critical thinking.
I reflecting upon my introduction to this project I feel I missed the chance to hook them with a dynamic interest approach and develop an appreciation for the subject matter. I am not sure what happened but I did feel pressured by the time constraints to the point where I didn't share a story or introduction with a hook.
I had a good review today and further reinforces what a great mentor I have in Mr. Anderson, his ability to take it all in and identify strengths as well as opportunities for improvement continue to impress me. To me this is what I envisioned my student teaching experience to be like and he makes me feel enthusiastic about the areas of improvement that will contribute to my overall development.

Wednesday - School was closed today due to the weather so I took the opportunity to work on Moodle assignments based upon a suggestion made in our online faculty meeting yesterday.
In further reflection on my approach Tuesday I think I will use the break created by a snow day to reintroduce and reenergize the enthusiasm for this project when I return on Thursday. I am also going to heed the advice of Mark and use the board instead of power points with my bell work and develop objectives that are less formal than what might appear in the lesson plan. I don't feel like formal objectives as we have been taught to create are reaching the students where they're at or creating a sense of engagement in the topic.  Sometimes the interest approach peaks their interest and I can feel a palpable let down when I go over objectives for the session. I'm simply going to experiment and try to "repackage" my objectives.

Thursday - Today was a good rebound from yesterday primarily due to the advice I got from Mr. Anderson coupled with me settling down about snow days and trying to be flexible when my intended pace clashes with reality. I felt posting objectives worded at the students level were not only more effective but, served an unexpected purpose when I was able to keep the students on task with our project and the efficient use of technology by pointing out the objectives periodically where appropriate.
Mr. Anderson demonstrating running a bead! No problems with short teenage attention spans or keeping them engaged in learning in the lab!

 


Friday - I really looked forward to today because our ag. mechanics sections are in the shop running their first beads and Dr. Holcomb, a former PSU Horticulture Professor, is coming in as a resource person to introduce the students to orchid care and propagation as part of his association with.
I enjoy circulating amongst the students as they develop their welding skills and I am in my zone when I am with them where time does not exist. That's part of why I chose to Teach Ag!
We had a great experience with Dr. Holcomb and the students really enjoyed being in the greenhouse. The experience really hit home with me as a future ag. educator when a couple of students told me they were lost when it came to repotting the orchids, they were lost because no one had demonstrated how to repot an orchid, orally delivering directions is not nearly as effective coupling it with a demonstration. We all enjoyed the hands on component in the greenhouse doing something that probably only an outside resource can provide with ordchids!

2 comments:

  1. Good Observations Sean. I look forward to seeing you on Friday. Have you investigated/addressed your housing arrangement yet? We are very concerned about your commute length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dr. Foster. As I indicated in prior posts I will make backup plans in case of late evenings. Otherwise with my family, budget, and other of life's obligations, etc., I feel strongly that for now it will work out ok. I consider this subject closed unless conditions would dictate otherwise.
    Thanks again,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete